HomeHow to make Vietnam visa

How to make a 5 Year Visa Exemption

How to make a 5 Year Visa Exemption
Like Tweet Pin it Share Share Email

If anyone want to stay in Vietnam for a long time could make 3 or 6 month business / tourist visa and extend it indefinitely and can will stay long time here.  Many people have stayed in Vietnam for years using this method. How- ever, If in 1 year there seems to be a concerted effort by the Vietnamese Government to crackdown on “undesirables” which includes “backpackers”, Ex: some internation people want to get  married in Viet Nam illegally employed Chinese/non-Vietnamese Asians, and Africans that are accused of propagating drugs and prostitution.

There seems to be two goals for this recent crackdown for Information:

1. For control (and get an accurate count of) the number of foreigners  in the country by forcing them to the border checks.

2. To get rid of foreign workers/cheap labor that take jobs away from the local people and money out of the country.

Nowadays, almost people entering Vietnam can make only obtain 1 month/3 month tourist visa’s which they can fill the from Vietnam for a maximum or over stay in Vietnam.  This is a major issue make for retired all people that have chosen to settle in Vietnam and for foreign English teachers without a work permit. You will have heard that it may be possible to get a new tourist Visa once you are out of the country…. but it is a risk proposition since there is no guarantee that once you leave our country and come back Viet Nam…you will be able to get back in. Many people that have have living in Vietnam for years suddenly have to think about possibly having to move somewhere else.

A course, If you Are have a work permit, you can stay as long as your permit allows…however work permits are not easy to come by.  If you are working in Vietnam, it is the responsibility of your employer to obtain a work permit for you.  Many working people are not willing to go through the trouble and expense (about more $500) of filing for a work permit, except for their most valued employees. You not going to delve into the process of what it takes obtain a work permit since many other blogs site for Viet Nam Visa have already expounded on this issue. Work permits are only valid for 12 months ( 1 year )…so you will have to go through the entire process yearly.

If you or your parents were born in Vietnam or if you are married to a current or former Vietnamese citizen, you do have another option if you wish to stay in Vietnam for an extended period of time…..it’s called the 5 Year Visa Exemption (Mien Thi Thuc).  Overseas Vietnamese that come to Vietnam and infuse the country with money and investments….in 2007, the Government of Vietnam passed a bill which allows people who meet specific conditions to stay in Vietnam for 5 years (180 days continuous) without being required to have a Visa.  That is asking to having a 3 month multiple entry Tourist Visa that is valid for 5 years.  If you have your criteria, the cost to obtain a 5 Year Visa Exemption is only $80 for the first certificate and only $10 to renew it thereafter.  For detailed information on how to obtain the exemption certificate going to:

Our site will show you How to make a 5 Year Visa Exemption : www.visathaiduong.com

We not going to regurgitate all the information on that website, but I will give a brief summary of the steps I took to get my certificate.  If have you or your parents was born or living in Vietnam then easy you only need to mail the following items to the Vietnam Embassy at your second country

  • Completed copy of the Visa Exemption Application
  • U.S. Passport (still valid for at least 6 months) + 1 copy
  • 2 recent (4 x 6 cm) picture size!!  These are NOT the same size as U.S. passport photos.
  • 1 form (Giấy Tờ Bảo Lãnh) filled out by a Vietnamese Citizen vouching for you .
  • $30  You will paid order ($20 for the certificate, $10 processing fee) – update!!  In Viet Nam they have the new fee is $40…but I would call and make sure before mailing in your application.
  • A Self-Addressed/Stamped Envelope

If your are a tourist foreigner married to  a current or former Vietnamese citizen or the child of one, you also need to include some sort of proof of relation to your Vietnamese spouse/immediate relative.

It was a relatively painless process. only took about a week after the Vietnamese Embassy in the U.S. received my package before I got it back.  Make sure that you send your package via by Email : hotro@dulichthaiduong.com to guarantee the quickest service.

For the 05 Year Visa Exemption is great if you are regularly travel to Vietnam to vacation or visit relatives and If you don’t want to apply for Visa each time the new rule is 180 days not 90 days like before. The only problem is that the certificate states that you can only stay 180 days continuously in the country….which means that you must leave the country at least 4 times each year….or so I thought. A few people I know with the Visa Exemption have been taking short “vacations” every few months due to the 180 day stipulation. For my recommand you had planned on taking a trip to Cambodia via the Moc Bai border crossing to satisfy the 180 day rule…but that was before I found out that there was a way to extend your exemption  from within the country.  Thanks to a user in the “Living in Vietnam forum“, you can go to the Vietnamese Immigration office in Saigon (196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Str) and obtain Form N14/M…..officially called:

When you application for visa renewal, and replacement or modification, length of stay extension (Đơn Đề nghị cấp bổ xung, sửa đổi thị thực gia hạn tạm trú… 

Form NM/14 Extension Form ==> Download file here

When you come to the Immigration office, just walk straight to where the cashier’s Ladies are and ask for the above form.  You will have to fill out the form and then sign itand follow that form.  You will get 2 or 3 other signatures before you can turn in the application for an extension. If you are staying  in a rental property you will most likely need the signature of your landlord.

After you make all your required signatures in the form…. you will back to the immigration office and put your form to there . You should get a receipt that shows the date that you can pick up your Passport and pay the $10 fee for the application.  It should only take a week for you to get back your passport with a red and blue stamp approving your extension.  I was told that they used to allow extensions for up to 1 year….but recently due to the crackdown on foreigners in Vietnam, the maximum extension allowed is capped at 180 days.  So you will have to repeat this process 4 times a year unless you leave the country before your 180 days are up.



Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *